Our 2022 Sustainability Report
We are proud to release our 2022 Sustainability Report, highlighting our efforts to provide our customers in diverse communities around the world with essential services that are safe, reliable, sustainable, and affordable.
The report outlines our performance and commitment to leading the energy shift through the lens of five key pillar future-focused areas: Energy Transition, Climate Change & Environmental Stewardship, People, Operational Reliability & Resilience, and Community & Indigenous Relations.
In addition to our five sustainability pillars and long-term commitment of net-zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050, we have set environmental, social and governance (ESG) targets for 2030. These targets highlight the importance of building equitable partnerships with Indigenous communities while celebrating the diverse and inclusive environment at ATCO.
“In many respects, 2022 was a milestone year in ATCO’s history. Not only did we celebrate our 75th anniversary, but we also marked several significant achievements with respect to our environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance.
Underpinned by our 2030 ESG targets and net zero commitment, the people of our company have continued to achieve remarkable things on behalf of our customers, communities, and investors.
We are a people-focused company, built over the last 75 years through tenacity and grit. As ever, I am fiercely proud of the people of ATCO. Their collective vision, determination, and courage has allowed our group of companies to create truly sustainable value.”
-Nancy Southern, Chair & Chief Executive Officer, ATCO Ltd.
Highlights from this year’s report include:
- Acquisition of a portfolio of wind and solar assets in Alberta and Ontario, including the Adelaide Wind Power Project.
- Strategic focus on cleaner fuels, renewable energy, energy infrastructure and storage, and energy efficiency.
- Double hydrogen milestone achieved in Australia.
Climate Change & Environmental Stewardship
- Reduction of company-wide GHG emissions to earnings intensity by 16 per cent compared to 2021, and a 28 per cent decrease compared to our 2020 baseline.
Operational Reliability & Resilience
- During the wildfires in Jasper in 2022, we repaired the damage and restored power to customers quickly, safely and efficiently.
- Achieved and maintained a minimum of 30 per cent female representation at the Board of Directors and senior leadership levels.
Community & Indigenous Relations
- As a part of providing $117.7M in Net Economic Benefit to Indigenous communities, completion of a historic agreement with partners Denendeh Investment Incorporated to increase their ownership stake in Northland Utilities from 14 to 50 per cent.
- $3.6M pledged in 2022 under ATCO's EPIC program, with the total pledged since 2006 tallying over $54M.
- ATCO is the proud Presenting Sponsor of the Invictus Games in 2025.
For more on our sustainability performance from the past year, please check out our 2022 Sustainability Report: