Electricity use has become so common that it’s easy to forget just how dangerous it can be. Stay safe with these tips, how-to videos and resources.
Downed Power Line Safety
- Always be on the lookout for fallen or sagging wires, especially after storms.
- Stay at least 10 metres away from downed power lines or damaged facilities.
- Notify ATCO immediately. Call 1 800 668 5506.
- Keep everyone away from the area.
If you hit a power line with your vehicle:
- Break the contact, if you can. Drive at least 10 metres away.
- Stay put and keep others 10 metres back.
- Call 911 for help.
- If you must exit your vehicle, JUMP. Then shuffle or hop with your feet together. Don’t step!
- Don’t touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.
tips & resources
be power safe at home
Safety starts with your family. Ensure bathroom and outdoor outlets are equipped with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs). Always have a qualified electrician perform any electrical work, including hooking up an emergency or back-up generator.
Whether you’re doing home maintenance, building a new fence or deck or planting a garden, it’s critical you know where all the power lines are located before doing any activity near them. Look up and locate the lines. Be especially careful when using a ladder, pruning or cutting trees, installing or removing an antenna, working on the roof or performing other high-risk tasks.