Electricity use has become so common that it’s easy to forget just how dangerous it can be. Stay safe with these tips, how-to videos and resources.
Downed Power Line Safety
- Always be on the lookout for fallen or sagging wires, especially after storms.
- Stay at least 10 metres away from downed power lines or damaged facilities.
- Notify ATCO immediately. Call 1 800 668 5506.
- Keep everyone away from the area.
If you hit a power line with your vehicle:
- Break the contact, if you can. Drive at least 10 metres away.
- Stay put and keep others 10 metres back.
- Call 911 for help.
- If you must exit your vehicle, JUMP. Then shuffle or hop with your feet together. Don’t step!
- Don’t touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.
tips & resources
Call or Click Before you Dig
Visit Alberta One-Call or call 1 800 242 3447 to find out where buried utilities are on your property. They’re closer to the surface of the ground than you think!
be power safe at home
Safety starts with your family. Ensure bathroom and outdoor outlets are equipped with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs). Always have a qualified electrician perform any electrical work, including hooking up an emergency or back-up generator.
Whether you’re doing home maintenance, building a new fence or deck or planting a garden, it’s critical you know where all the power lines are located before doing any activity near them. Look up and locate the lines. Be especially careful when using a ladder, pruning or cutting trees, installing or removing an antenna, working on the roof or performing other high-risk tasks.
Homeowner’s Guide to Safe Digging
If you accidentally dig up a cable, call ATCO immediately at 1 800 668 5506. Read the Homeowner’s Guide to Safe Digging from Alberta One-Call to learn more.