Peaks to Prairies Southern Alberta's Electric Vehicle Charging Network
Peaks to Prairies is the electric vehicle charging network coming to southern Alberta in 2019. The Project is an innovative regional approach that was initiated in 2016 by a collaborative group of partners including - The City of Calgary, SouthGrow Regional Initiative, Alberta SouthWest Regional Alliance, City of Lethbridge, City of Medicine Hat and Medicine Hat College.
The charging network will have 20 fast charging (DCFC) and Level 2 charging stations installed across southern Alberta by the end of 2019.
Why is this project happening?
The Partners recognized an opportunity to accelerate electric vehicle tourism in the region with an approach that would see positive benefits to communities through economic development and emission reductions. Further, the commitment to power the network of stations with local, renewable energy, highlights the resources that exist in the region.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- With seed funding from the Partners, Peaks to Prairies has been additionally funded by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities and the Government of Alberta.
- The $2 Million project will see 20 Direct Current Fast Chargers (DCFC) and Level 2 stations installed throughout the region.
- Long term ownership and operation of the charging infrastructure will be carried out by ATCO.
- Each station will be powered by ATCOenergy using renewable energy sourced from southern Alberta.
- The stations will operate on the FLO network.
WHAT IS ATCO’S ROLE IN THE PROJECT?
ATCO was the successful proponent of a competitive bid process. With experience installing EV charging infrastructure on the Highway 2 Calgary-Edmonton Universal Fast Charge Corridor, ATCO is leading the charge in electrifying transportation in Alberta.
ATCOenergy is proud to play a role in supporting a cleaner future for communities in Alberta. Providing electricity to the EV charging stations is just one of the ways we’re working to bring innovation energy products and solutions to our province.
We are excited to bring our expertise and enthusiasm to this project as we continue to support electric travel to and throughout the region.