Emergency situations can occur at any time. Stay safe by being prepared.
Smell Natural Gas?
A pungent, rotten egg odour is added to natural gas so it is detected for safety reasons. If you smell gas inside a building:
- Leave immediately.
- Leave lights and appliances alone.
- Call ATCO or 911 once you are outside
If you smell gas outside a building:
- Call ATCO or 911 immediately.
- Keep people away from the area.
- Do not smoke or light any flames.
Call ATCO's emergency line but in the meantime, take care using other heat sources:
- Indoor electric heaters are safe.
- Avoid wood fireplaces (you need to open a nearby window).
- Never use outdoor barbecues, kerosene heaters or camping heaters indoors (they emit carbon monoxide).