About The Gas Meter
The gas meter is usually located in a metal meter box at the front of your property. It may be in a gas-only meter box or a combined gas/electric meter box.
The gas meter is the property of ATCO. ATCO is responsible for maintaining it as well as the service pipe which brings the gas in from the gas mains in the street to the meter on your property.
Customers have the responsibility of ensuring the gas meter and service are protected from damage, and for enabling ATCO safe and unrestricted access to inspect or work on the network equipment, including the meter and service pipe.
how to turn your gas meter on / off
To turn your gas supply OFF, turn gas meter valve to OFF position, located next to the gas meter, usually inside gas meter box . See black diagram
To turn your gas supply ON, please follow the steps below:
1. Ensure all gas appliances are turned off
2. Turn gas meter valve to ON position; located next to the gas meter, usually inside gas meter box. See blue diagram
3. Observe gas meter dial which should move and stop within 15 seconds.
Note: If the gas meter dial is still moving after 15 seconds, then turn gas meter valve to OFF position (see diagram above), as you may have a gas leak inside your home. DO NOT PROCEED TO STEP 4 and arrange for a licensed gasfitter to check gas piping / appliances in your home.
4. If the gas meter dial has stopped moving within 15 seconds, relight gas appliances following manufacturer's instructions. CAUTION: Always follow manufacturer's instructions in regard to waiting time requirements between relighting attempts so as to allow unburnt gas to dissipate.
5. The first appliance you light may take slightly longer to light while the gas flows from the meter. Once alight, let it burn for at least three minutes to allow the gas to flow fully. If you have a gas cook top, this can be the easiest appliance to relight first.
6. Restore gas to your other appliances by following the manufacturer's instructions for turning on and lighting the pilot flame. Instructions are usually located inside the access panel.
Reading your meter
ATCO owns the gas meters which are installed in a specially designed box and easily accessible for our meter reading staff The gas meters record the volume of gas used, measured in cubic meters.
By law ATCO must be allowed access to your meter box at all times so that readings can be made and the connection and disconnection of supply can be carried out.
After the meter read process is complete ATCO pass on the usage information for the household to the retailer. The retailer will then either email or post the completed bill to the residential address.